Monday, October 12, 2009

"I make for you a better email..."

In keeping with my general attitude of celebrating humor and ridiculousness I thought my first blog post should of course have nothing to do with the fact that I'm a) moving to The Gambia for two plus years or that I am b) grappling with the many practical and emotional conundrums that a move of this sort entails.

Rather, I would like to relate a particularly hilarious conversation I had with a very kind man at the Peace Corps travel office while booking my flight from Burlington, VT (where I've been living since graduating from Beloit in May 2008) to Philadelphia where my Peace Corps adventure finally begins.

{With no offense meant to the individual described, as he was truly quite lovely, imagine all of this going on in a very strong Indian sub-continent accent}

Lindsey: (I paraphrase here) Hi, I would like to book my ticket for staging. I'm supposed to meeting in Philadelphia on November 3rd to go to The Gambia.

Man: (After much discussion of addresses and the fact that my Peace Corps posting is sadly enough not in India) Ok, well Lindsey you see the airlines, they are saying that they have no money, and since they are having no money they will not be issuing the paper tickets. And we too we have no money so we will be needing an email address for you so we can send you the information for you to print a flight conformation.

Lindsey: (again paraphrasing) lindseyellisgreen@gmail.com

Man: Lindsey, I have an idea for you, we make for you a better email, "Lindsey goes to Gambia!"

(Later after more discussion of timing and other such arrangements)

Man: Now we have made the flight and I must ask you about your seat. Will you be wanting a window, wave goodbye to Mummy Daddy for th-reee years or will you be wanting sit on the aisle and cry.

Lindsey: Window please.

And so it goes, my first blog entry and a truly hilarious beginning to Peace Corps service.

2 comments:

  1. I definitely spoke with this same guy on the phone when I booked my Peace Corps ticket. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very, very excited about your blog entries! I will live to read them as I do Amalia's!
    You have very good time in the Gambia and be safe, eat well and take very good care of your self. Have wonderful adventure! ( I am hearing this in my head with a Borat type voice and not an Indian accent. )Hmmmmmmm.
    Love you,
    Auntie Leslie

    ReplyDelete