Friday, February 5, 2010

The Rabbit Hole

Written on January 15th, 2010

Sometimes living here things happen that I don't find particularly remarkable or funny but that cause me to pause and think "people back home would get a kick out of this." Today was one of those days. Since I moved into my house at my permanent site there has been a small hole in the corner of my small backyard. I didn't think much of it other then choosing to place my plastic lawn chair not next to it because you never know when a small hole might become big and I didn't want to deal with that or exacerbate it by sitting near it.
Anyways, the other day my host father was in my backyard for another reason and noticed it. He explained to me that it was a rabbit hole and then, as far as I could understand with my elementary Wolof, he said that he would fix it later.
Well later was this morning/evening. He began by pouring and entire bedong (jerry can) of water into the hole. Right at the end a rabbit popped out of the hole, I screamed and he dropped the bedong but we didn't catch it. The sighting emboldened my host father however and he proceeded to pour three more bedongs into the hole. This was in no way a successful approach for drowning the rabbit out--it merely enlarged the hole. At this point I was 45 minutes late to bike 10 kilometers for a batik making workshop so we had to leave the rabbit for the day. To ensure that it didn't leave the hole he stuffed it with two pairs of old pants. Upon my return this evening the rabbit operation recommenced. Our tactics didn't change much to begin with, we had just attracted more spectators. My backyard is small (probably 2 yards by 5 yards) but there were six to ten people crowded around a hole in one corner--like the Gambian version of a clown car.
Two bedongs later new tactics were introduced. Neem leaves (a bitter/semi-poisonous leaf used for many things here including mosquito repellent) were pounded and stuffed in the hole in the hopes that the "bitter taste" combined with the water would draw it out.
No luck.
Next a pick/stick was taken to the hole and it was significantly enlarged. Still no luck. Also, I failed to mention it but all of this happened after sunset by flashlight. Anyways, defeated my host father stuffed the hole with the old pants, filled it with dirt and we called off the search.
As I write now I sit at a a safe distance from the hole for fear that (1) it might all collapse as I doubt the structural integrity of two pairs of pants, (2) the rabbit might finally come out and I know it won't be happy. I know I wouldn't be six bedongs of water later.

No comments:

Post a Comment