Friday, February 5, 2010

Things I Did This Week that Count as Doing My Job

Written on January 24th, 2010

1) weighed adorable (and sometimes screaming out of fear of me) babies
2) went to a naming ceremony, held a 1 week old baby, watched its head be shaved, ate lots of food, danced
3) drank attaya (a strong tea served in a shot glass with lots of sugar)
4) shelled peanuts
5) took a beautiful bike ride on a packed red dirt road among baobab and tall grass
6) got mistaken for a former, male, tall and 1/2 Brazilian volunteer and had to explain in Wolof, while riding a bike, that I was not in fact Pateh
7) filled out birth records--probably not legal or helpful
8) ate lots of icees
9) sat under a big tree and read
10) went to the market
11) did I say drink attaya--I do that a lot
12) fetched water
13) went to a Gambian style track meet--one event was racing with buckets of water on your head
14) saw a man walking his goat on a leash while riding his bike
15) made french fries
16) eating oranges, bean sandwiches and drinking semi-cold Coke

No comments:

Post a Comment