Wednesday, June 9, 2010

A Koranic Experience

Written on June 6th, 2010

Today was the Islamic school equivalent of an end of year school assembly and school play all rolled into one. All of the kids and most of the village gathered under a big neem tree and one by one each kid went up and recited (in a very sing-y way) a portion of the Koran. The kids were all dressed in their best clothes--complets, clean jeans and even a "Barack Hussein Obama" shirt. My host brothers, Alieu, Ous and Alhagie were beautifully coordinated--not on purpose--in purple, orange and mustard yellow complets. As each kid came up they turned their eyes down, gripped the microphone tightly and put it as close to their mouths as possible in the hopes, I think, that this would muffle their recitation so not as many people could hear it. Like any good situation of public speaking there were forgotten lines and tears. But my four host brothers all did great. I took pictures of them all with my digital camera, like the good toubab older sister I am, and did feel a surge of pride every time on of them went up. I think its because I know what good, kind and happy kids they are and it was nice to see them each have their moment to shine. By lunch the program was over so we all shuffled home for a family lunch of bena chin and baobab juice. Quite a Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment