Friday, February 4, 2011

You Can Help!!!

It's a very very exciting day for me here in the Gambia. For the past few months I have been working to develop a health and nutrition education competition for the women in my village. My goal is to provide them with basic health and nutrition education in a fun and interactive way. They get points for participating in the different elements of the competition and at the end we will have a big community celebration where the women will share what they have learned and win prizes. Most importantly the women in my village, many of whom have never had the opportunity to go to school, will get a chance to educate themselves and be seen as resource people by the community. I've spoken a ot about how much the women in my village inspire me. But after a year in Kerr Jarga these women are also my friends. We laugh together, cook together and talk about life, theirs and mine, this is my small way of trying to help them and thank them for their friendship and support. I am truly humbled by the way they have all embraced me.So where do y'all come in? Unfortunately though health knowledge is free running this competition will not be free. So I am trying to raise money for my project through Peace Corps Partnership. A program where people can go to the Peace Corps website and donate to my project. I would really appreciate any support you all could provide. The total I need to raise is $764.79 so every little bit will help. A ot of you have asked me how you can help me in my work here and this is a way that you really can make a difference in the lives of the amazing women of Kerr Jarga. I promise to keep you all updated on the competition with pictures and blogs.So.....if my pitch has peaked your interest you can follow the link below to donate!
https://www.peacecorps.gov/index.cfm?shell=donate.contribute.projDetail&projdesc=635-069

No comments:

Post a Comment